lunes, abril 23, 2007

World citizenship

I like this country, the people, the culture, the quietness. I like Malaysia, partly because people talk to you as if they knew you for long years, they always try to make conversation and get to know about foreign people.

I like the interaction between malasians, malays, indians and chinese, and after some time I have realized not everything is perfect and sometimes indians complain about chinese, chinese complain to malays and malays complain to indians all the same.
But I still find it very interesting to see such an interaction, because even being a developing country, some cultural aspects are quite developed, and this interaction between races is quite uncommon to see, at least in Spain.

In Spain, chinese would usually hang out with only chinese, other immigrating races such as african, south american or arabian would likely do the same. There is still in Spain some sort of thinking that immigration is good for economical reasons, but when it comes to social integration, spanish system is messed up and its very difficult, for example, to integrate foreign children in schools and make them feel like part of the society.

This is one thing I found interesting in malaysia, and think malaysians should be proud of it. Since I came here for work also, and living in a foreign country, I am really glad that the integration has been fluent and easy.

Being here as an expatriate I should feel thankful not only for the local people who gets to know me and often talks to me, but also to my coworkers (Sergio, Emily, Paty, Jon and Bea) who are in the same situation and often do things together after work, dinner, trips and so on.

Also I want to say thanks to all my friends in Spain, for their support and quality time spent together anytime during the time I was there. I understood their fears of seeing me leaving Spain and I do agree that this change in my life has brought me a lot of good things, opened my mind and for sure this will be a good thing for my life in the future, wherever it is. I feel as a world citizen who can move over anywhere...

My world is changing and widely opened since I came here. Somewhere between, I am trying to deal with the fact wether I can stay in Malaysia in the future, move to Spain temporarily or go to work in a better position in another country. Time will tell, but certainly part of my life and my heart is in Malaysia now and thanks to all people I have met here, I am quite happy with it and my life.

But yet I dont forget simple things in my country, feel the wind coming over my face on a winter day, the spanish tapas, walks around the park or just go for a drink with friends on a quiet sunday morning.

I sometimes miss the light and warmth of a fire chimney, the hot chocolate cup with churros, the breeze on a windy day, the sunset near home and the unexpected call of a friend just to check how is my day.

It is uncertain what the future is going to bring me in the next months or years, as when I think about the future outside Spain I feel bit anxious and unsecure, but all in all, still on time, thanks to everyone who is around me for all these wonderful experiences!!


At the end, I know that no matter what and where, friends will be always there, and what makes us wise are for sure all the experiences we have in life. Once you feel the wish of changing your life inside you, let it grow, be patient, and move for it in the proper timing.
Some of the most wonderful experiences in our life happen not only all a sudden, but it is also in the effort, patience and support of our beloved ones that we finally can achieve what we have been longing for.


For all the above, thanks to all malaysians and friends to let me feel one of my wishes accomplished. No matter what race you are, interaction with you has been (and still is!) really a wonderful experience!