miércoles, octubre 17, 2007

Life taken

Being back in Spain after one year absence, one realizes not only that time passes so quickly but also that the life you used to have is no longer the same.

Before I went to Malaysia I owned a small apartment, which I had to rent because I moved overseas to work. The family that is currently living there are nice, they have a small kid, the parents go to work everyday, they have a normal life as many other families in Spain.

I am the owner of their place, and monthly they pay me the rental fee. Their place was supposed to be my place before they came in. Now it's still part of me, but it's no longer mine since they are living there.

The streets of my town haven't changed much. Time seems stopped while I was away and there are not so many changes overall. My family doing daily life same as before, my mother's cooks and food still same as one year ago.


My friends keep up moving and talking the same friendly talks as usual. The cinema where we used to go it's still there, the shops are opening every single day. There is still an open market every wednesday where people goes and shops vegetables, fruits, clothes, whatever they sell. My dog seems to be a bit older but still has the same hair colour and young energy that he uses to have.

My parents, brother, sister, friends do the same things as usual. Nothing much has changed in my town since I left.

Nothing much. Except me.

How I see life here after such a wide change in one year is something I am still considering. I have traveled a lot, I have gained experience professionally and personally. I have been to Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia, Myanmar, Philippines, Japan.

I have worked hard and also enjoyed as much as possible during this year. I have made very good friends who have been always (and still are) supportive and they all have lighted my life.
I really appreciate every single chance and minute that I spent overseas. Really...

It is not only that I miss Malaysia, but also I do feel that I do not fit here in Spain anymore. I have been living in Spain for almost 30 years, it is supposed that I am able to make a life here, find a job, get married, do as all spanish people does here.

However during the past years and especially now after this year in Malaysia, I do feel displaced from my origins. Of course I want a stable job, a house, get married as everyone does. But I am not the same person, even though my house is still here, my friends from highschool are still around, my dog still comes to hug and play with me everytime he sees me.


Despite all this, my life has been taken. The places I used to go, the material world is still here and remains unchanged. My family of course they keep me happy and I am also happy to see my friends here.

However my thoughts, how I saw my life before and now is totally different. I have changed.


I did offer my apartment to a family so that they could make a living. Their life has also changed, with or without their notice, during this year. The new coworkers are now probably in similar situation I was one year ago. My office is (was) certainly still there in Kuala Lumpur, my chair, my computers, my small world. And back to Spain, my town, my friends are still here and will be here for me anytime no matter what.


The Petronas Twin Towers, KLCC, Timesquare, The Green Man, Ciccios, Jalan Alor, Petaling Street, Midvalley, Cameron Highlands, and many more...the unforgettable nights spent in Malaysia will remain in my memory until my very last days. My mind is still there, my soul still aims to go back, but I am physically in a different place where I do not fit, where amazingly I have been for almost 30 years.

To be back is not easy, to settle down is sometimes hard, but all in all, I do keep trying. I want my life to be like what it has been during this past year and I will do all efforts possible to make it happen.

My thoughts were improved, and I am really looking forward to challenge myself and let's see where I end up. I will not give up any single chance. Even my life was taken, in a sense, it still belongs to me and I am sure I will recover and remake it for better. I swear.